Metal Mayhem
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Metal Mayhem forums are a place for fans of Metal, Rock, Punk, and good music in general

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your favorite metal sub-genre

Go down 
+11
Pistol
Goat
Haimerej
Re4master
Kyle
Andantilus
Zap!
temo
Phil
Blackwater-RiD
Knightfall
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
temo
Lord of the Manor
temo

Number of posts : 2285
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 11:50 am

or billy bullyed quagmire
Back to top Go down
Andantilus
Thor's banhammer
Andantilus

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Melodic Death Metal
Math metal
Progressive Metal
Groove Metal

There is nothing I hate more than nu metal... except for rap/hip-hop.
Back to top Go down
Knightfall
Madgod
Knightfall

Number of posts : 8624
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 1:19 pm

Andantilus wrote:
There is nothing I hate more than nu metal

That explains a lot, I knew there was a reason...a reason for what?....I haven't figured that out yet....all I know is that there's a reason, and as they say "where there's a will, there's a way"......so what do they say about reasons?...............yeah, I fell on my head today in 7th period......
Back to top Go down
https://metalmayhem.forumotion.com
temo
Lord of the Manor
temo

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 5:44 pm

by Nu-metal u mean Korn and limp bizkit and stuff right?
Back to top Go down
Knightfall
Madgod
Knightfall

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:16 pm

temo wrote:
by Nu-metal u mean Korn and limp bizkit and stuff right?

I'd say that's a safe bet, I know for a fact that he hates Korn and I think I can safely assume he doesn't or wouldn't like LB
Back to top Go down
Andantilus
Thor's banhammer
Andantilus

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 pm

By nu metal I mean everything that falls into that category.
Some of Trivium, shitty pop-metal bands like Atreyu, of course shit like Korn and Limp Bizkit, sorry, Knightfall, but I include a good bit of Disturbed as nu metal too.
Back to top Go down
Kyle
Hopeless

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Andantilus wrote:
Some of Trivium, shitty pop-metal bands like Atreyu, of course shit like Korn and Limp Bizkit, sorry, Knightfall, but I include a good bit of Disturbed as nu metal too.

You have no idea what nu-metal is.

The only two Nu Metal bands you listed were Korn and Limp Bizkit. Disturbed's first album is debateable, but I maintain a firm stance on it NOT being nu-metal.

Nu-metal has this thing called a turntable. Its a blend of hip hop and metal.

That is all.
Back to top Go down
Blackwater-RiD
Retired Troll
Blackwater-RiD

Number of posts : 1351

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Kyle wrote:
Andantilus wrote:

The only two Nu Metal bands you listed were Korn and Limp Bizkit. Disturbed's first album is debateable, but I maintain a firm stance on it NOT being nu-metal.

That is all.

Nu-metal (also known as mall-core, mall metal, or pop-metal), when elitist metal heads use the term, is basically a catch all term for shitty so called "metal" bands. Me and Andantilus are obviously elitist pigs. I don't speak for Andantilus, but most of us know what nu-metal actually is, but we use that term for other pop-metal bands that require the same amount of communication skills as any nu-metal band. And i'm sorry to say, that Disturbed kind of falls into that category.
Back to top Go down
temo
Lord of the Manor
temo

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 5:39 am

k i get what u ment now
Back to top Go down
Knightfall
Madgod
Knightfall

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 8:39 am

Andantilus wrote:

Ummm...Trivium has never even resembled pop-metal or nu-metal, they just made one album with a generic, thrash sound to try to seem more main-stream, a shift that I have gradually built up a considerable amount of disgust for, but still, not pop or nu metal, and their new sound has more than made up for it.

Not saying you have to like Trivium, but they are far from pop or nu metal, bad comparison on your part. Also, no need to apologize, I agree that Disturbed's first album had a distinct nu-metal sound, one I rather enjoy Wink
Back to top Go down
Kyle
Hopeless

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 2:18 pm

Blackwater-RiD wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Andantilus wrote:

That is all.

Nu-metal (also known as mall-core, mall metal, or pop-metal), when elitist metal heads use the term, is basically a catch all term for shitty so called "metal" bands. Me and Andantilus are obviously elitist pigs. I don't speak for Andantilus, but most of us know what nu-metal actually is, but we use that term for other pop-metal bands that require the same amount of communication skills as any nu-metal band. And i'm sorry to say, that Disturbed kind of falls into that category.

See, that's all fine and dandy. But when you're actually going to diss the genre out-loud, diss the appropriate genre. I could go "I hate all country shit. Because U2 sucks. And Coldplay sucks too." and you'd all look at me like I'm fucking stupid. Obviously, I know U2 and Coldplay aren't country, its just an example.

And Knight...please tell me how The Sickness has a "Distinct" nu-metal sound? He sang in a rappish style at times, is about the only thing. Other than that, its entirely different. You can't draw any other connections to Disturbed and Linkin Park other than that.
Back to top Go down
Knightfall
Madgod
Knightfall

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 4:42 pm

Kyle wrote:
And Knight...please tell me how The Sickness has a "Distinct" nu-metal sound? He sang in a rappish style at times, is about the only thing. Other than that, its entirely different. You can't draw any other connections to Disturbed and Linkin Park other than that.

Um...that was a crap example, linking Disturbed to LP, really? The Sickness had many nu-metal qualities, most of which reflect Korn's style of nu-metal, which in no way reflects LP's style, and yet, they are both considered nu-metal bands. Just because two bands or albums are considered to be of the same genre does NOT in any way mean that they sound ANYTHING alike, it means that the properties of the music fit it in said catagory, which is the case with The Sickness.
Back to top Go down
Kyle
Hopeless

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 7:18 am

Knightfall wrote:
Kyle wrote:

Um...that was a crap example, linking Disturbed to LP, really? The Sickness had many nu-metal qualities, most of which reflect Korn's style of nu-metal, which in no way reflects LP's style, and yet, they are both considered nu-metal bands. Just because two bands or albums are considered to be of the same genre does NOT in any way mean that they sound ANYTHING alike, it means that the properties of the music fit it in said catagory, which is the case with The Sickness.

Well I just picked a name from a hat. They sound nothing like Korn, either.
Back to top Go down
Knightfall
Madgod
Knightfall

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 am

Kyle wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
Kyle wrote:

Well I just picked a name from a hat. They sound nothing like Korn, either.

Disturbed as a whole does not, but the style they employed in The Sickness very closely resembles Korn's STYLE, not sound
Back to top Go down
Blackwater-RiD
Retired Troll
Blackwater-RiD

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 10:41 am

Knightfall wrote:
Andantilus wrote:

Ummm...Trivium has never even resembled pop-metal or nu-metal, they just made one album with a generic, thrash sound to try to seem more main-stream, a shift that I have gradually built up a considerable amount of disgust for, but still, not pop or nu metal, and their new sound has more than made up for it.

Not saying you have to like Trivium, but they are far from pop or nu metal, bad comparison on your part. Also, no need to apologize, I agree that Disturbed's first album had a distinct nu-metal sound, one I rather enjoy Wink

What he means is that Trivium is still a shit excuse for metal. He wasn't necessarily calling it pop or nu-metal.
Back to top Go down
Knightfall
Madgod
Knightfall

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 am

Blackwater-RiD wrote:
What he means is that Trivium is still a shit excuse for metal.

Perhaps the way you and him see it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Blackwater-RiD
Retired Troll
Blackwater-RiD

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Knightfall wrote:
Blackwater-RiD wrote:
What he means is that Trivium is still a shit excuse for metal.

Perhaps the way you and him see it Rolling Eyes

Peacefully accept the fact that we have an elitist attitude toward metal, and understand that shitty band is helping by recruiting onslaughts of fags that don't know what it means to be metal (i'm not talking about you or kyle, or anyone on this forum (i hope)).

Last edited by Blackwater-RiD on Wed May 27, 2009 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andantilus
Thor's banhammer
Andantilus

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 1:43 pm

I've just been lurking this thread for the last couple days, but I've seen enough.
Despite what I said being true, I feel that it is my duty to say:
Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 Successful_troll
Back to top Go down
Blackwater-RiD
Retired Troll
Blackwater-RiD

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Andantilus wrote:
I've just been lurking this thread for the last couple days, but I've seen enough.
Despite what I said being true, I feel that it is my duty to say:
Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 Successful_troll

I knew that was coming...
Back to top Go down
Re4master
Little Man
Re4master

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyTue May 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Thrash Metal
Death Metal
Back to top Go down
Haimerej
Frustrated Novelist
Haimerej

Number of posts : 3010
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:11 am

Avant-Garde metal (new to it but I like it a LOT)
Symphonic metal (Within Temptation FTW)
Melodic Metal
Back to top Go down
http://haimerej6.mybrute.com
Phil
Grammar Nazi
Phil

Number of posts : 5715

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:28 am

Haimerej wrote:
Avant-Garde metal (new to it but I like it a LOT)
Haha, yes, isn't it brilliant Very Happy I need to find more. Oh, btw, here's another band to check out in it:

Stolen Babies- Push Button
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHDhA35KR_I
Back to top Go down
http://thesickness.freeforums.org/
Haimerej
Frustrated Novelist
Haimerej

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:34 am

Seriously this is coincidence, I went into last.fm recently and started listening to PC radio, and the first song to come up was Lifeless by them. Their alright, but I wouldn't go looking for 'em.

btw Melodic Metal here's one of my favorite songs in that genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f3s2uFQFMk Rise Up by Freedom Call.
Back to top Go down
Phil
Grammar Nazi
Phil

Number of posts : 5715

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Nice, liked it.

Btw, check out Phantom Communique. It's the guitarist from Polkadot Cadaver and DFD, but is also a bit like KsE, except better.

http://www.myspace.com/phantomcommunique

Check out Coping Mechanism
Back to top Go down
http://thesickness.freeforums.org/
Haimerej
Frustrated Novelist
Haimerej

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 11:34 am

wtf is the sub-genre mathcore?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite metal sub-genre   Your favorite metal sub-genre - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your favorite metal sub-genre
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next